The Mercedes Sprinter is a utilitarian cargo vehicle by design. It is built for work and versatility across a wide range of applications. One such application is a fantastic platform on which to build the ultimate camper / overland adventure rig. However, the downfall of most camper / adventure vans we’ve seen is that they have become a one trick pony. Meaning, the versatility and utility of the van has been greatly limited by the interior build out.
There are many platform / panel beds on the market today but none of them are all that practical when you really think about it. For example, when your massive cargo van needs to be used to haul cargo, where does the bed and mattress go? While some platform beds on the market can easily be removed from the vehicle, they are not easily stored. Especially when a mattress is involved.
Enter the VC solution. Which, like all Van Compass products, is built to function. Designed around a 4-6” Queen sized memory foam mattress split down the middle. The Flip & Load Hinged Platform Bed allows your van to keep its versatility without the drawbacks often associated with built out camper van interiors. Manufactured from 5052 AL sheet metal, solid 6061 T6 cross bars and weighing in at just over 100lbs, this bed system allows you to convert your van from overland adventure trekker to hardware store parts runner in less than one minute.
Installation of this bed system requires mounting of L-track along the van’s body in the Mercedes recommended location as described in the detailed instructions below. With the L-track mounted in this location, the bed ends up having 36” of clearance from the bottom of the bed to the van floor which allows for mountain bikes to be stored under the bed with the front wheel removed.
This is a DIY kit and it is up to the installer to determine how to keep the bed in the up / open position. This can be accomplished as easily as some eyebolts and straps mounted to the roof of the van as demonstrated in the images. With the bed in the up position, enjoy the full versatility of the Sprinter van and haul motorcycles, lumber, tools, furniture, anything you can imagine. Don’t turn your Sprinter into a one trick pony. Build it into the do all workhorse Mercedes designed it to be using the Van Compass Flip & Load Bed.
Product dimensions of folding panel in bed position.
73" X 60"
ADDITIONAL ITEMS ARE NEEDED FOR INSTALLATION
SHIPPING- THIS IS A LARGE PRODUCT AND WILL REQUIRE TRUCK FREIGHT SHIPPING. ALL ORDERS WILL RECEIVE A SHIPPING QUOTE AFTER THE ORDER IS PLACED. SHIPPING TO A COMMERCIAL ADDRESS WILL REDUCE COSTS.
How do I decide which system to buy? I'm a newbie.
- We've prepared some comparison guides for our most popular systems, they can be found under the stage guides tab on the product page.
Which tune should I select?
- We've prepared some valving charts based on van weights, they are at the bottom of each shock, and stage system page. You can select the tune from the options when adding your system to the cart.
I don't know what my van weighs. How do I find out?
- Easy, most county landfills have a commercial scale. You can use the CAT SCALE LOCATOR to find the closest CAT certified scale. These are great, as they give us a front and rear axle weight separately.
Do I need adjustable shocks?
- Our adjustable shocks are very popular, and offer a huge range of adaptability to your van. They are well suited to vans that see a wide range of payload and terrain. Do you like to exact every last bit of performance and comfort out of every situation? Or, do you prefer to live in the moment and keep your vehicle simple?
Can I upgrade my kit in stages?
- Typically, yes. Our kits are designed to be modular, so that customers can add components in stages without having to buy many components twice. If you buy a stock stage, then lift the van later, your shocks will still work.
Do I have to lift my van to use your upgrades?
- NO! All of our shock upgrades work as stock replacements. They are designed to work with both stock height and Van Compass lifted vans.
Is a lifted van safe to drive?
- YES! Our lifted 2wd vans are roughly comparable to a stock 4wd van. We design our lifts to preserve factory suspension geometry and travel, as well as work with our upgraded shocks. Lifts will also allow fitment of larger tires, which help smooth out terrain and road irregularities. The combined effect is a van that is actually much better driving than their stock, delivery van roots suggest.
What size tire fits my _____?
- We've prepared detailed fitment charts for each application, you'll find them in a tab on the product pages. We also recommend you consult your installer, and local tire shop. They are the experts when it comes to proven formulas with builds, and good tire choices for your area and use cases.
Does installation void my warranty?
- Ultimately, the decisions for warranty lie with the Dealer and Manufacturer, so you will want to contact them for an answer. Van Compass parts are designed with OEM performance in mind, and as thoroughly as possible. Many of our parts are stock replacements.
Do Van Compass products have a warranty?
- YES! Our complete warranty policy is found here: WARRANTY POLICY
Do you do installations?
- We no longer do installations, we are focused 100% on designing, manufacturing and shipping the best possible products we can make.
How much does installation cost?
- You will need to contact one of our installers: DEALER LOCATOR
How long do your products take to install?
- Installation instructions are found under the 'Instructions' tab on the product page. We list recommended labor hours for both home, and professional environments.
Can I install your products myself?
- YES! Many of our customers are do-it-yourselfers, so our products are designed with the installer in mind. They have been thoroughly engineered to be durable, fit great, and easy for a human to install. We've prepared detailed instructions and fitment info to help you, so make sure you read them thoroughly. We've done our best to outline the tools, safety equipment, and various other tricks you'll need to be able to confidently install our products.
Will I need an alignment after installation?
- We always recommend a quality, digital alignment be performed after any suspension modification where the struts are removed and reinstalled. Although many vans have limited adjustment, the TOE setting is critical to front end alignments, good tire wear, and safe drivability and should always be properly checked after installation.
When will my order ship?
- We allocate and ship orders on a first in, first out basis. We understand, it's frustrating waiting for long periods of time and how that impacts the unique circumstances of our customers. For more information on our shipping and order policies, please read here: Shipping, Return and Cancellation Policies
Do I need to put a deposit down?
- Many credit card companies provide only a small window to collect funds from online orders. With the long and often un-predictable lead times many of our products are experiencing, this small windw is not a good fit. The unique nature of our business and customer base dictate that we take a full deposit up front. If your order will be shipping freight, we will contact you at the time of shipment to ensure an accurate and fair rate. The 3% cancellation fee only covers the service charges we incur from the credit card companies.
Still have questions?
- We'd love to chat!
Why can't I find your phone number?
- With the unique nature of many of our customer's builds, the conversation is often drawn out over several months. Keeping a paper trail allows us to remember the specific names, vans, builds and needs for each of our customers. We're available to chat via appointment on a limited basis, so please email us first.